Monday 2 May 2011

Proposed Award Title and Rationale

I know everyone is busy but I have been struggling with what I need to put in my rationale but this is what I have.  Any comments would really appreciated!
I started this exercise by looking back at my career to date and asking why did I embark on this degree course.   During my school years I took advantage of any opportunity to perform: singing, dancing, public speaking; acting, summer schools; and lots more. I hoped that one day I would train professionally and become a performer.  Knowing that the industry was a challenge for any new comer I stayed on and completed my A levels and then auditioned for a performance college. I joined a college of performing arts and completed a Diploma in Professional Musical Theatre.  I left college confident in my ability and craft but very unsure about how to sell myself.  In the 7 years since I left college I have had some great contracts, seen parts of the world and met some great people.  When my last contract finished I felt it was time to explore and diversify within my professional practice.  One thing I have learnt is regardless of how talented you are, if you do not market yourself your chances of success are seriously reduced.   So I embarked on this course to learn more about the tools and techniques that would help me do exactly that and help me find what area I wanted to go into next.
My initial award title was based on a subject that interested me, one I could use to help me diversify in my professional practice and  something  that my experience gave me a foundation to work from.  As I worked through the tasks of developing my questions, exploring professional ethics, piloting the tools and finally researching the topic I slowly began to realise that the inquiry I wanted to pursue was not one that purely interested me one but one that would help me develop and  confidently move into a new area within my professional practice. 
So the rationale behind the award I am seeking as a result of doing this programme is purely selfish.  I want to be able to use and reference as much of my previous education, training and experience to date.  I want it to include some topics that interest me i.e. the use of costumes, but most importantly I want the process of inquiry to allow me to learn about a subject that is becoming more important and used by many companies and personalities around the world.  I want the topic to help me make a transition into a new area of my professional practice and ultimately help me secure a career that I enjoy and I am successful at.  I believe knowledge of Personal Branding could be used in any professional practice.  What is the value of personal branding in my professional practice?
The award title I seek as a result of doing this programme is BA (hons) Professional Practice (Personal Branding).

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pearl,

    I don't think there’s anything wrong with wanting to promote you the best way possible. One thing that’s stands out if you look at your proposed award title without reading the rationale e.g. it was on your cv how would I know where your areas of expertise lay and in what context. My award title is (Vocational Musical Theatre Education) I have tried to make it apparent where I want to teach in what genre and how I'd go about it. How will this award relate to your skills, personal branding to me is a way of self promoting what are you wanting to promote about your professional self? I hope this helps you!?

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete