Tuesday 24 April 2012

Chat with Paula

Tonight I had a really useful chat with Paula after submitting a draft of my report to her and I feel much clearer on what I now need to do.  There were a few things that now seem really obvious and will make my report much more coherent once I make the changes:
·         When I was writing my report I interchanged the phrases “my research project” and “my inquiry”.  Eventually I updated my report and only used Inquiry.  The difference between the two is:
o   Practitioner research is about a given topic and only looks at literature
o   Inquiry includes looking at literature and talking to real people about it.
·         I must not assume people reading my report will know about me or the background to the Inquiry.  I MUST state the obvious.
·         If it is commonly known I do not have to say where it originated an example of that is “triple threat”
·         I originally had problems with the BAPP Library so have not looked there again for a while, It is significantly improved so I will make time to skim what’s there and if it’s useful I will add to my literature.
·         I must keep it simple, start with an introduction of what I did and then go into the detail.  Yes it is obvious but I am not used to writing reports and this was not as easy as it sounds.  I will get other people who are completely fresh to the report to read it to make sure I have explained everything.
·         When I have finished the report I will go back to the module handbook and look at the table of knowledge and skills being assessed.  It is a good check list!
·         I will use my personal experience when necessary, but make clear it is my personal experience and not factual and use it in the conclusion.
·         Make sure I use my learning journal if I can.
·         Choose my appendices wisely.
I think I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, I still have a lot to do but I am slightly less panicked!  I hope you are all doing ok too, and it’s all coming together.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    This all sounds like what I need to do! To help, I write the questions for the sections (for example what did I do? Was it effective?) at the top and bullet point the answers before structuring the paragraphs.
    Fingers crossed we are going in the right direction. How are you preparing for the presentation? Im worried about this most I think Xx

    ReplyDelete