Wednesday 29 December 2010

2d: Inquiry

There are quite a few things I would like to inquire about more but of one of the things I am enthusiastic about within the industry other than simply performing is costumes.  They really interest me; there are so many elements that need to be looked at when they are designed:
·         The designs
·         How they are made
·         Practical/relevant to what the dance is/reflects the performance
·         Safety and comfort
·         The history of the dance costume
·         Technical/rules/elements
I really enjoyed Strictly Come Dancing, not just the dancing but in particular how the costumes varied, specifically how the designs differed depending on the character in the dance, the type of dance and dancers personal preference.  The Strictly Come Dancing costume designer is Sue Judd, I think she is really talented and designs some gorgeous outfits.  I started trying to look into her and below are two of the sites I found interesting:
I have some experience as a performer, of poorly made, inappropriate and badly fitted costumes and know how they are really affect how you feel about a piece.
In one production in was in the wardrobe mistress was given a budget and a large selection of pre made costumes.  Her directions were to use as many of the existing costumes and alter them some were purchased and a few made to measure.  She stayed with us for 3 weeks when the shows started and then left.  As a cast we experienced many issues with the costumes:
·         Too tight, too small
·         Not secure so they came undone during a performance
·         Too long so they had to be held or they walked on them
·         Too short, too low so they showed parts of the body which would not normally be seen
·         Wrong colours, wrong accessories
·         Wrong costume for the song
·         Wrong materials, constantly needed ironing and had to be dry cleaned
I really enjoy my profession but there are some things that can make me angry. One of them is unprofessional behaviour.  This has been a bug bear of mine since college. 
·         I could never understand why students turned up late or inappropriately dressed when they were so lucky to be offered a place to train
·         I hate when a member of the cast does not practice between rehearsals and turned up not remembering what they were taught the day before.
·         I am irritated when a member of the cast does not perform in rehearsals and shows.  This more than often causes extra work for the rest of the cast and almost always puts the choreographer in a bad mood.
I am fortunate to have worked with many professional people who consistently maintain professionalism in everything they do.  One of those is a dancer I worked with who has become a true friend.  Her time keeping is excellent, she is focused, works hard, listens, performs and is a nice person to add.
When I am performing, I love it. It’s the best feeling in the world.  I love the “buzz” of performing, the satisfaction of working hard, and meeting new people, visiting new places and learning from and working with talented people.
I have been privileged to work with Gavin Lee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Lee):  He is an incredibly hard working, talented and successful professional.  He oozes enthusiasm, which I find contagious.  His choreography was great to perform and fun to watch and to crown it all he is a nice guy to work with.
Something I don’t understand is choreography.  I struggle with the transition of an idea into a performance.  I have tried many times to conquer it and the only time I feel I was successful was when I was paired up with a partner who felt the same way.  We did complete the task but did it by taking “the mick”.   Just like I mentioned in a previous blog we faked it until we made it  and actually did really well.
Someone I admire who can choreograph is Matthew Bourne.  He admits he mastered this skill late in life (see BBC interview) He is able to choreograph a story, in a way no one else has done.  His productions are fun to watch and always have something a little different.
BBC interview: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00wdf42/Start_the_Week_06_12_2010
I have recently taken on a part time job in between contracts.  I am a personal assistant in a small company that provides “bits” to art and production directors.  I am learning about sourcing materials, how and when they are used in productions and what can be produced when they are assembled. This has inspired me to research more about the production side of TV & Film.

No comments:

Post a Comment