Friday 31 December 2010

Task 3c Sources of Information

My top 5 sources of information:
·         Internet:
Many people have said that this was the first and most obvious.  I use it so often and already take it for granted.  Everyone I communicate with uses the internet, even my Nan, who is 85 has an email account.  With regards to networking, I find most of my casting information on the web.  I generally talk to me agent via email rather that in person.  It is a quick delivery vehicle for information but it does need human interaction to read it.
I think it does have some disadvantages though.  You don’t get a personal touch, it is purely factual and often things can be misinterpreted.  I do not have a back up when the web is not available and I feel lost and totally out of touch.  The other disadvantage is there is a lot of information available and it can take time to filter it.
·         People:
People are definitely a major source of my information.  I have said before I like to talk and so do my friends.  It is also good to put a face to name if you have only been communicating on the internet.  Face to face discussions are interactive and topics can be expanded instantly.  It is also good to get someone’s personal views on things which are so much easier face to face. 
Disadvantages are it is more time consuming, can be expensive if you have to travel to meet up with people and I am finding getting people’s diaries to match can be a challenge.
·         TV & Radio
I drive a lot so I always have the radio on and I find a lot of information about when shows are on or coming to an end or even a cast change.  With TV it allows me to see stuff I couldn’t do personally e.g. shows, biographies, interviews & facts.  It is also easy and comfortable to watch or listen and most of the time it can be recorded for later.
Disadvantages are communications are one way communication and structured so there is no deviation.  Some things can also be addictive and a waste of time
·         Literature
I like to read.  I read on line and hard copy and there is a huge amount of resources available.  It is portable, easily available on loan or purchase even when the internet is down.
Some of the disadvantages are it could be out of date (half life!!), it can be bulky to transport, can get easily damaged and can be editorially bias.
·         Performances
I think watching performances is a good source of information.  It is today’s news.  I love seeing a live performance as the audience.  It is nice to be part of and I enjoy it without sweating!
Some challenges with performances include: if it is information about a specific piece you need to learn or be familiar with it to get the best out of it; it’s not always good to watch some else’s interpretation of a piece;  it may be a poor performance and can put you off something that you may have loved with another production; and sadly it can be expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment